Space tourism

All about the UK's 'Glasgow Prestwick' Spaceport at Glasgow Prestwick Airport in Scotland.
Alien Squad

Space tourism

Post by Alien Squad » Sat May 23, 2020 12:12 pm

To be honest, the main thing that drives my interest in the UK spaceports is the possibility of space tourism. Tickets are spendy right now, but they'll likely come down in price over time and it would be a once in a lifetime experience that's worth saving for. So I was quite disappointed to hear that Spaceport Cornwall isn't planning for space tourism. Does anyone know whether Glasgow Prestwick Spaceport is committed to offering space flight experiences to the public?

Luna3

Re: Space tourism

Post by Luna3 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:23 pm

From what I've read, Glasgow Prestwick Spaceport is committed to support space tourism, including zero-gravity experiments and suborbital space rides. It's one of the spaceports in the UK that already has the infrastructure in place in terms of lodging and parking to make that happen. Hopefully we'll see it take place at Glasgow Prestwick Spaceport in our lifetime.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 pm

I thought Spaceport Cornwall would support public space flight tours. It makes sense as it's near an airport and there are lots of places to stay and grab a meal around the area. I think they've missed an opportunity there! Glasgow Prestwick Spaceport seems more interested in taking things further and supporting different needs. Of all the UK spaceports, I'd say Glasgow Prestwick Spaceport is in the best position to become a huge success. It's near a major airport, the weather is lovely, the community is already considered a major space industry hub, and there are tons of establishments set in place to support construction and space tourism. It's quite exciting if you think about it.

Alien Squad

Post by Alien Squad » Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Ivy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:42 pm
I thought Spaceport Cornwall would support public space flight tours.
Truthfully, I think that was due to the locals who balked at having a bunch of tourists around thanks to the spaceport. I suppose they like their quiet in Cornwall. I go back and forth on whether I'd be brave enough to try a space flight experience, but I'd like to have the option at least. Hopefully, Glasgow Prestwick Spaceport will remain part of the space tourism market.

TommyJo

Post by TommyJo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:23 am

Are you serious about being a space tourist? Maybe in the distant future, it makes sense. But now ... We are still very far from creating the infrastructure that could make such travel safe. Yes, the space industry is now actively developing, but this is only the beginning of the path.
Now we can rather count on space companies to help improve the infrastructure here. Well, you know, all sorts of communication satellites, surveillance, etc.

JacobSpace

Post by JacobSpace » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:08 pm

I guess that Glasgow Prestwick spaceport will support space tourism, but I don't think our generation will see it. Space tourism is a great idea, but it's just an idea, nothing more. Btw, what do you mean by 'space tourism': traveling to Earth's orbit or visiting other planets. Of course, the first variant is more likely to happen, but it's too expensive. The second one needs many years of preparation.