Virgin Orbit fails launch

All about the UK's 'Cornwall' Spaceport at Cornwall Airport in Newquay.
George

Virgin Orbit fails launch

Post by George » Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Unfortunately, the Virgin company has just faced another failure. The launch took place in California, but it's still related to Spaceport Cornwall because it involves the same Boeing 747 aircrafts. As you know, Spaceport Cornwall is tightly partnered with Virgin Orbit, maybe even more so than any other company. Cornwall Spaceport plans to use the same Boeing 747 aircrafts to launch rockets with a satellite payload. This won't bode well for the future spaceport, I'm afraid. You can read about it in The Guardian. The vice-president for special projects at Virgin Orbit stated that about half of all test launches fail. He said that before the launch, so I wonder if he had an inkling that this wasn't going to be a successful run. I also wonder whether it's true that 50% of all test launches fail. I hate this happened. Virgin has had a bit of a bad run lately.

Ivy

Re: Virgin Orbit fails launch

Post by Ivy » Wed May 27, 2020 11:59 pm

I saw that. Sir Branson has had some rotten luck lately. It looked as though the launch was going to be a success until the aircraft opened and dropped the rocket with the test satellite over the Pacific Ocean. I'm just glad that no one was hurt. I wonder how this will affect Spaceport Cornwall? I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the days ahead.

Luna3

Post by Luna3 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 am

It really is too bad that it happened. I wonder if they'll address it during the next panel discussion that's put on by Skyrora, or if they'll leave it alone since Virgin Orbit might be a competitor for spaceport contracts.

TommyJo

Post by TommyJo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:01 pm

Satellite data is used in industries such as telecommunications, mapping, navigation, and weather forecasting. With the decreasing cost of launching small satellites, the demand for commercial launch services is growing. The government said that for the UK economy, demand for such services could be around 3.8 billion pounds.
Approximately such statements were made with the plans to build horizontal launch spaceports.
When will it be?
P.S. On January 17, Virgin Orbit's Cosmic Girl aircraft (modified by Boeing 747) with an external LaucnherOne small rocket took off from the Aerospace Center in the Mojave Desert and headed for the Pacific Ocean. After reaching the specified area, the crew dropped the carrier.